Organic silicon is a chemical compound containing silicon and carbon that occurs naturally in some plants and foods. It is a biodegradable and soluble form of silicon, which is an essential mineral for the body.
Organic silicon has been shown to have beneficial health effects, such as improving the strength and elasticity of connective tissues, skin and bones, and has also been linked to improved well-being and sleep quality.
What is organic silicon used for?
Organic silicon can be found in the form of dietary supplements and is marketed as a health and wellness product.
It has also been used in cosmetic and personal care products, as it has been shown to have beneficial properties for skin and hair.
However, it is important to note that the efficacy and safety of organic silicon supplements and other products containing silicon are not fully established and may vary by brand and specific product. It is recommended to consult with a physician or health care professional before taking any supplement or using any product containing organic silicon.
Does it improve digestion?
Some suggest that organic silicon may improve digestion and nutrient absorption, and has also been linked to improved blood circulation and reduced swelling in the abdomen.
However, it is important to remember that no supplement can replace a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. It is recommended to consult with a physician or health care professional before taking any supplement or using any product containing organic silicon.
What are the aesthetic benefits?
Organic silicon is used in cosmetic and personal care products, as it has been shown to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties for skin and hair. Some of the applications of organic silicon in aesthetics include:
- Improved skin elasticity and firmness. Organic silicon can stimulate the production of collagen and elastin in the skin, which can improve its elasticity and firmness and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and sagging.
- Hair strengthening. It can improve hair strength and resilience and reduce hair breakage and hair loss.
- Scar treatment. It can aid in skin repair and healing and may have beneficial effects on the appearance of scars.
It is used in some treatments to combat cell damage and inflammation in the skin. Examples of treatments that may use organic silicon as an active ingredient are:
- Facial creams and serums. Some facial creams and serums containing organic silicon can help protect the skin from free radicals and cell damage, and may also have beneficial effects on the appearance of wrinkles and sagging.
- Shampoos and conditioners: Some shampoos and conditioners containing organic silicon can improve hair strength and resilience and reduce breakage and hair loss.
- Body treatments. Some body treatments, such as creams and lotions, may contain organic silicon and may have beneficial effects on the appearance of skin and hair.
Commitment to quality
This text on organic silicon has been written by professional editors and reviewed by Sisneo’s medical-aesthetic team. In addition, we have relied on experts in medicine, engineering and aesthetics as a source of information, as well as specific studies to maintain the quality of what we publish.
At Sisneo Bioscience we are committed to publish truthful and contrasted information. And to update or correct it as soon as new knowledge becomes available.
Among others, we have used the following references:
- Barel A, Calomme M, Timchenko A, et al. «Effect of oral intake of choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid on skin, nails and hair in women with photodamaged skin» en Arch Dermatol Res. 2005;297(4):147-153. doi: 10.1007/s00403-005-0584-6.